Useful Vocabulary & Phrases
Which terminal for (Cathay Pacific)?
Which building is (terminal 2)?
How do I get to (terminal 2)?
Where is (international departures)?
check-in desk (*noun)
check in (*verb)
Is this the check-in for (Amsterdam)?
Is this the line for (British Airways)?
Check In Questions
Where are you flying to today?
What is your final destination?
How many people are flying today?
Can I see your (passport / boarding pass) please?
Would you like a window seat or an aisle seat?
Do you have any bags to check in?
Did you pack the bag yourself?
You / Your bags have been checked through to… (*if have a connecting flight)
The flight boards at (time) from gate number …
Can I see your passport please?
Do you have your departure card?
Please look into the camera
Please put your thumb on the sensor
Please empty out your pockets
Please take off your (jacket/belt/shoes)
Please put (your laptop / keys / any electronics) in the tray
Are you carrying any liquids?
Please raise your arms
Please turn around
Please open your bag
Step this way
business class lounge
club members lounge
Changes to the flight
On the loud speaker
– Would passenger (name) flying to … on flight number … please report to the nearest information desk, thank you
– Flight number … to … is now boarding through gate number …
– We are sorry to announce that flight number … to … has been delayed due to (reason). We thank you for your patience.
– We are sorry to announce that flight number … to… has been cancelled due to (reason). Passengers should contact a flight representative for more details.
– Would passenger (name), flying to…, please report to gate number…as you are delaying the plane. Boarding will close in 5 minutes, at which point we will begin unloading your baggage.
In a hurry
express lane (*at immigration and security)
Excuse me, do you mind if I go first? My plane is boarding in …minutes
Excuse me, can I get ahead of you? I’m in a hurry.
Excuse me, can you take me to gate 5? My plane is boarding.
Hold the gate! I’m coming!
bump up (*casual English)
Mr Smith, we have a few no-shows so have upgraded your ticket to first class.