过去时态 The Past Tense
Things done in the past use the past tense. The past tense means the verb is in the past.
I run to school (present)
I am running to school (present continuous)
I ran to school (past tense)
When to use the past tense
Use the past tense when:
– Events in the past are finished
– The time must also be finished
(basically, everything is finished)
Some examples of finished time:
2 days ago
5 years ago
How to make the past tense
To make the past tense, the verb needs changed.
There are two types of verb change:
Examples showing the past tense
Yesterday I went to the shop. I bought an apple. Then I walked to school.
5 years ago I lived in Russia. We ate Russian food every day. My mother cooked it. It was delicious.
Last week my mother sold her car. A man bought it for $10. It was very cheap, but we were very happy.
Put these sentences into the past tense:
1. I go to school. My teacher is angry. I don’t do my homework.
2. He is eating an apple. It is delicious.
3. They write a letter to their grandfather. It is his birthday. Their grandfather is very pleased.