Part 1

Shopkeeper: ‘Afternoon. Can I help you?
店家:下午好,有什么我可以帮您的吗?

Samantha: Yes. I’d like 200g of tomatoes, and 1kg of potatoes please.
萨曼莎:是的,我想买200克的番茄,以及1公斤的土豆。

Shopkeeper: Sure. Anything else?
店家:当然,还有其他的吗?

Samantha: Yes. Can I get a box of apples and a bag of grapes too?
萨曼莎:是的,我能再拿一箱苹果和一袋葡萄吗?

Shopkeeper: Ok. Anything else?
店家:好的,还有吗?

Samantha: No, that’s all.
萨曼莎:没有了,就是这些

Shopkeeper: Right, that’ll be $4.50 please.
店家:好的,一共是4.5美元

Samantha: Here’s 5.
萨曼莎:给你5美元

Shopkeeper: And 50¢ change. Have a nice day.
店家:给你0.5美元找头,祝你有愉快的一天!

Notes
1. ‘Afternoon = short for ‘Good Afternoon’. Can also be used for ‘Morning’, ‘Evening’, and ‘Night’
2. g = grammes/grams (UK spelling/US spelling)
3. kg = kilogrammes/kilograms (UK spelling/US spelling). Kilo = 1000
4. that’ll be – in English it is more polite to say ‘that will be…’, rather than ‘that is…’. ‘That’ll be…’ sounds like a choice (that’ll be…, if you want to buy it)

Part 2

Shop Assistant: Good morning Miss. How can I help you?
店员:小姐早上好,有什么可以帮您的吗?

Anna: I’m looking for a new shirt.
安娜:我想买一件新衬衫

Shop Assistant: OK. The shirts are just over here. What size are you looking for?
店员:好的,衬衫在这里,你想找什么尺寸?

Anna: A medium, please.
安娜:中号,谢谢

Shop Assistant: And what colour would you like?
店员:你想要什么颜色的呢?

Anna: Do you have anything in blue?
安娜:有没有蓝色的呢?

Shop Assistant: I’m afraid the blue ones have sold out.
店员:我恐怕蓝色的都已经卖完了

Anna: Ok. Do you have any in dark green?
安娜:好的,那你有没有深绿色?

Shop Assistant: Sure, we have this one for $80.
店员:有的,这件是80美元

Anna: Hmm. I like the style, but it’s too expensive. Do you have anything cheaper?
安娜:恩,我喜欢这个样子的,但是它太贵了,有没有便宜一点的?

Shop Assistant: I’m afraid not.
店员:没有了哦

Anna: Oh dear. I guess I will try somewhere else. Thanks.
安娜:哦,亲爱的,我猜想我得到其他店看看了,谢谢你。

Shop Assistant: Sorry about that. Bye.
店员: 我很遗憾,再见

Anna: (to herself) $80 for a shirt! What a rip-off! I’m never going back there.
安娜:(自言自语)一件衬衫要80美元!敲竹杠啊!我不会再会这家店了。

Notes
1. ‘Do you have anything …er?’ – a common way to say you don’t like this
2. rip off = (n.) and (v.) Far too expensive. Like they are trying to steal your money.

Part 3

Ten years ago there used to be a lot of shops in my neighbourhood: a bakery that sold fresh bread; a butcher that sold fresh meat; a greengrocers that sold a large variety of vegetables; and a deli that sold cheese and meat from around the world. These shops have all closed now, and there is just one supermarket. The supermarket is cheaper than the old shops, but I don’t think the food is as good. The assistants at the supermarket can’t remember my name; the shopkeepers in the old shops all knew me.
It makes me sad to think all those shops have closed. However, we can’t cry over spilt milk: the present is the present, and the past is the past.

十年前,在我家的街区里有很多店铺,一家卖新鲜面包的面包房;一家卖鲜肉的屠户;一家卖各种类型素材的蔬菜商;还有一家卖来自全世界各地的肉类和奶酪的熟食店。
这些店现在都关门了,只有一家超市,这家超市比原来那些店便宜,但是食物却可能没有原来的好,超市的店员也无法记住我的名字,原来老的店铺的店员都认识我。
这些店铺关门了让我感到很悲伤,然而,伤心是徒劳的,现在是现在,过去的都已经成了往事。

Notes
1. ; – if a list has long items, use a semi-colon (;), not a comma (,)
2. It makes me…to …
It makes me happy to see you two get together
It makes me angry to know you would cheat me

3. cry over spilt/spilled milk – (idiom) get angry about something that can’t be changed

Part 4

A baker works in a bakery. His/her job is to bake and sell bread. Bakers must wake up early in order to make the first bread of the morning.
面包师在面包房工作,他/她的工作就是烘焙面包并且卖了它们。面包师们都得很早起床,这样可以赶得上做早上的第一个面包。

A butcher works in a butcher’s shop. His/her job is to cut and sell meat. Butchers must have strong arms so they can carry and chop the meat.
屠夫在屠户工作,他/她的工作是切肉、卖肉,屠夫得有强壮的手臂,这样他们才能够搬得动肉,砍得动肉。

A fishmonger works in a fishmongers. His/her job is to sell fish. A fishmonger mustn’t mind the smell of fish, because fish can smell terrible!
鱼贩在鱼商工作,他/她的工作是卖鱼,鱼贩们要能够忍得住鱼腥味,因为鱼真的可以很难闻!

A florist works in a florists. His/her job is to sell flowers. A florist must know which flowers are best for special events in order to help the customers make the right choice.
花农在花商工作,他/她的工作是卖花,花农必须知道哪些花适合哪些特别的活动,这样能够帮助客人做出正确的选择。

A chemist works in a chemists. His/her job is to sell medicine. A chemist must be careful: they must give people the right medicine.
药剂师在药房工作,他/她的工作是卖药,药剂师必须很小心,他们一定要给人们正确的药物。

Notes
1. ‘in order to’ = so
2. : – in English writing a semi-colon (:) can be used to replace ‘because’