Part 1

Anna: You’re looking a little under the weather. Are you alright?
安娜: 你看上去有些不舒服,你还好吗?

Dave: Oh god, I feel awful. I think I’m coming down with something.
戴夫: 天哪,我感觉糟透了,我觉得我染上什么病了。

Anna: What’s the matter?
安娜: 是什么呢?

Dave: I’ve had this splitting headache since last night, and I’ve been sweating and running a fever all day.
戴夫: 我从昨天晚上开始有了偏头痛,另外我一天都在出汗并且发烧。

Anna: Have you thrown up?
安娜: 你吐过吗?

Dave: No, but I have lost my appetite.
戴夫: 没有,但是我的食欲没有了。

Anna: I think you had better go and see a doctor. I can go with you if you want.
安娜: 我觉得你最好去看下医生,如果你愿意的话,我可以陪你去。

Dave: That would be great, thanks. I appreciate it.
戴夫: 那很棒。谢谢你,我很感激。

Anna: That’s what friends are for.
安娜: 这就是朋友的作用嘛

Notes
1. ‘Under the weather’ = not feeling so good
2. awful = very bad
3. ‘splitting headache’ is a headache with a very sharp pain
4. ‘throw up’ is be sick/vomit
5. ‘lose your appetite’ is not wanting to eat
6. ‘you had better’ = you should
7. ‘I appreciate it’ is a sincere thank you
Part 2

Philip: Hey, Sam, I didn’t see you at my party on Saturday.
菲利普:嘿,萨曼莎,周六我见你没来我的派对嘛。

Samantha: Oh, yeah. Sorry about that. I got food poisoning and was laid up in bed all day. Friday night was worse. I couldn’t stop vomiting.
萨曼莎: 哦,是的,对不起了,我食物中毒,一天都躺在床上。周五晚上更糟,我吐个不停。

Philip: Sorry to hear that. What did you eat?
菲利普: 听到这个很遗憾,你吃什么了?

Samantha: I think it must have been the chicken burger I had for dinner.
萨曼莎: 我猜想可能是晚饭时候吃的那个鸡肉汉堡。

Philip: That sucks. Although, come to think about it, I haven’t been feeling that well either.
菲利普: 太糟了,不过想想看,我其实也感觉不太舒服。

Samantha: Really? What’s up with you?
萨曼莎: 真的吗? 你怎么啦?

Philip: I think it’s just a cold. The doctor said there is a bug going around. She gave me some medicine and told me to get some rest. I am feeling a bit better today, though.
菲利普: 我估计就是感冒了,医生说有细菌在我身体里,她给我开了药让我好好休息,我今天感觉好一些了。

Samantha: I hate being sick. Going to the doctors is one of my least favourite things.
萨曼莎: 我讨厌生病,去看医生是我最不喜欢的一件事情。

Philip: I don’t mind going. My doctor is really cute.
菲利普: 我到不介意去,我的医生很可爱。

Notes
1. ‘food poisoning’ is getting sick after eating bad food
2. sucks = really bad
3. ‘come to think about it’ (or ‘come to think of it’) = now that I think about this….
4. ‘what’s up’ = ‘what’s wrong?’
5. ‘a bug’ is a virus. ‘A bug going around’ usually means a lot of people getting the cold around the same time
6. …., though: when speaking, sometimes people put ‘though’ at the end instead of ‘although’ at the beginning
Part 3

I detest being ill, especially when I am on my own. When I was a child my parents would look after me, but now I am an adult and live by myself nobody cares for me. Last week, for instance, I had the flu. I lay in bed all day, sweating and running a fever, and nobody helped. Nobody made me chicken soup. Nobody brought medicine or fruit. Nobody kept me company. Being ill sucks, especially when I’m on my own. Sometimes I wish I was a child again.

我憎恨生病,特别是我一个人的时候。当我还是个孩子,我的父母会照顾我,但是现在我是成年人了,我自己住,没有人关心我了。打个比方上一周,我患了流感,我在床上躺了一整天,不停出汗并且发烧,没有人能够帮我,没人给我熬鸡汤,没有人给吃药或者水果,没有人陪伴我。生病真糟糕,特别是我一个人的时候,有时候我希望我还是一个孩子。

Notes
1. detest = really really hate
2. for instance = for example
3. especially = particularly
Part 4

The most common reasons for visiting a doctor:
拜访一个医生的最常见原因:

1. Hypertension 高血压
“High blood pressure” is very common in older people, or people with an unhealthy lifestyle.
“高血压”在老年人中很常见,或者是那些有着不健康生活方式的人;

2. Upper Respiratory Tract Infection 上呼吸道感染
These cause coughs and colds.
这会引起咳嗽和感冒;

3. Physical Exams 体检
These are health checks. Some people need them for work, and others just want a check.
这是做身体健康检查,有些人是工作上有要求,还有些人是自己想检查下;

4. Diabetes 糖尿病
High blood sugar. People with diabetes must be careful about eating sugar, and often need insulin injections.
有糖尿病的人,吃糖要特别当心,并且经常要注射胰岛素;

5. Sinus infection 鼻窦感染
Sinus infections make breathing difficult. People often get ‘a blocked nose’ and headaches.
鼻窦感染会让呼吸困难,患者经常会鼻塞或者头疼;

6. Bronchitis 支气管炎
Problems with air leaving the lungs. People with bronchitis often cough a lot, or need to spit. Smoking causes bronchitis.
在空气离开肺时有困难,有支气管炎的人咳嗽会很多,或者喜欢吐痰。吸烟会引起支气管炎;

7. Degenerative Joint Disease 骨关节病
This is often called “Arthritis”. It is sore joints (knees, elbows) caused by aging.
这一般被称为“关节炎”,是因为年龄老化产生的关节(膝、肘)疼痛;

8. Asthma 哮喘
Asthma makes airways become closed (an ‘asthma attack’). Some people are born with asthma, and some people get it later.
哮喘发作时会让肺气道关闭,有些人出生就有哮喘,有些人则是后期患上的;

9. Otitis (ear infections) 耳炎(耳朵感染)

10. Depression 抑郁症
Always feeling sad, tired, or useless. Depression can also make people angry at the world.
一直会感到悲伤、疲倦,或者觉得自己很没用。抑郁症也会让人对世界产生愤怒。